Tuesday, September 3, 2013

50% off!! (There's always a catch, but this is brilliant!!) New Marketing Con

A new company recently started up selling expansion screws, the very best expansion screws, the sort that cost a LOT of money. I received a letter in the mail informing me of their presence in the orthodontic lab supply market, and that they would be happy to offer me 50% off anything I wanted to order. "Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" ,   I screamed as I danced around the lab!!!! I called the wife and told her to organize a second mortgage on the house, I needed a lot of money fast!
I dutifully called the company and asked for the normal price of the screws I wanted, $5.65 I was told. "GREAT, I'll take 10,000 pieces at 50% off". Silence ensued..............    "Actually the offer is 50% off the price that the screws retail for in Germany", I was told. Silence and disbelief from my end of the phone this time. What has the retail price of screws in Germany got to do with me? Why didn't the letter say this? Is this bizarre or am I missing something. With respect to my German colleagues, I really don't care what they are paying for expansion screws in Germany. Why would a letter be drafted, and an offer be made in such a way? 
Hold the second mortgage, I'll just take 100pcs and try to flog them to my friends in Berlin at a hugely inflated price. Somehow I don't think it will work.
Suitably informed of the new marketing techniques that have cropped up to pull the wool over our eyes, I've decided to have a sale. I'm offering 99% discount on every appliance we make at Ortholab. How generous am I??  Before you go screaming around the clinic and mortgaging your house let me just let you know, it's 99% off what I sell my appliances for in Sweden. . . . . . . .and believe me, it's very expensive. So  much so that you'd be better off just paying my normal lab fees.
(By the way, no I don't sell into Sweden, but if there are any interested parties out there, my offer still stands)

No comments:

Post a Comment